Skip to main content
Selected Online Resources
See lists of web resources organized by the following topics:
Microbial Genomics Resources
TAIR and Other Plant Genomics Resources
Other resources that provide alternatives to TAIR and/or complement TAIR:
Selected Web Resources:
- Botanicus Digital Library: free accessible, Web-based encyclopedia of historic botanical literature from the Missouri Botanical Garden Library.
- BPH Online: searchable database of plant science periodicals published from 1665 to present.
- CalFlora Database: native and introduced wild plants in California. Species accounts include CA distribution, habitat, specimen information, and links to the Jepson Manual entries.
- Descriptions of fungi and bacteria: CABI Bioscience (includes former International Mycological Institute (IMI) the pre-eminent global taxonomy / information provider on fungi.
- efloras.org: search selection of online floras with detailed botanical descriptions from around the world!
- ePIC, Electronic Plant Information Centre (Kew): search Kew Royal Botanical Gardens’ checklists, databases, bibliographies, and publications. Particularly useful for taxonomic queries: search the International Plant Names Index and checklists.
- Flora of Australia Online: Australian Biological Resources Study
- Flora Zambesiaca: Kew Royal Botanic Gardens, a searchable database of a compilation of floras from south central Africa.
- Harvard University Herbaria Digital Collections Botanists, Publications, and Specimens
- International Plant Names Index
- Internet Directory for Botany (IDB): extensive directory of botanical web resources.
- Jepson Flora Project: includes the Jepson eFlora - the Flora Project site links to numerous databases and manuals. The eFlora, based on the Jepson Manual, has species accounts including distribution maps and botanical descriptions of California plants.
- JSTOR Global Plants: online archive of plant specimens, photographs, drawings, prints, paintings, articles, correspondance, reference works, and other materials.
- Kew Bibliographic Databases (KBD) - access to:
- KR - The Kew Record of Taxonomic Literature
- PM - Plant Micromorphology
- EB - Economic Botany
- Plant Information Online from the University of Minnesota - searchable databases:
- Book and Magazine Citations to Plant Info & Images
- Selected Links to Plant Info & Images
- Plant and Seed Sources
- The PLANTS Database: species accounts, classification, distribution, and links to resources for plants occurring in the United States. Maintained by the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service.
- Tropicos.org: Search names, specimens, references, images, and other resources from the Missouri Botanical Gardens.
- Vegetation and Plant Distribution Maps Checklist: Archive of directory of online plant distribution maps from UC Berkeley’s Earth Sciences and Map Library.