Skip to main content
Interpreting the Built Environment
- Analyzing activity areas, an ethnoarchaeological study of the use of space, by Susan Kent. Albuquerque: Univ. of New Mexico Pr., 1984.
- Architecture as space, how to look at architecture, by Bruno Zevi; ed. by Joseph A. Barry. Rev. ed. NY: Horizon Pr.,  Includes concepts of space through many eras, and different interpretations of architecture--political, religious, scientific, etc.
- Architecture, form, space & order, by Francis D.K. Ching. 3rd ed. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, 2007. Online table of contents.
- Cities & people, a social and architectural history, by Mark Girouard. New Haven: Yale Univ. Pr., 1985.
- Cities full of symbols: a theory of urban space and culture / edited by Peter J.M. Nas. Leiden, Netherlands : Leiden University Press, 2011.
- Close-up, how to read the American city, Grady Clay. Phoenix, ed. Chicago: Univ. of Chicago Pr., 1980.
- Cross-cultural studies and urban form, by Amos Rapoport. College Park, MD: Urban Studies Program, Univ. of Maryland,  Monograph series, no. 10. See especially p. 15+, "How might one go about doing cross-cultural research?" Excellent bibliography.
- Doing qualitative research / David Silverman. London ; Thousand Oaks, California ; New Delhi ; Singapore : SAGE Publications Ltd, 2013.
- Handbook of visual culture / edited by Ian Heywood and Barry Sandywell with Michael Gardiner, Gunalan Nadarajan and Catherine Soussloff. London : Berg, 2012.
- History and material culture : a student's guide to approaching alternative sources / edited by Karen Harvey. London ; New York : Routledge, 2009.
- Investigating quality of urban life : theory, methods and empirical research / Robert W. Marans, Robert J. Stimson, editors. Dordrecht ; New York : Springer, c2011. Also electronic resource
- Learning from things: method and theory of material culture studies, W. David Kingery, ed. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution Pr., 1996.
- The Meaning of the built environment, a nonverbal communication approach, by Amos Rapoport. Tucson: Univ. of Arizona Pr., 1990.
- Meaningful architecture: social interpretations of buildings, Martin Locock, ed. Brookfield, VT: Avebury, 1994. Worldwide archaeology series, 9.
- Public places, exploring their history, by Gerald A. Danzer. Walnut Creek, CA: AltaMira Pr., published in cooperation with the American Association for State and Local History, 1997. Includes streets and open spaces.
- Reading architecture and culture: researching buildings, spaces, and documents / edited by Adam Sharr. London ; New York : Routledge, 2012.
- Reading the everyday / Joe Moran. London ; New York : Routledge, 2005. EnvDesign HT153 .M668 2005
- Understanding buildings, a multidisciplinary approach, by Esmond Reid. London: Construction Pr., 1984.
- Handbook of interview research, context & methods, Jaber F. Gubrium, James A. Holstein, eds. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 2012. Older edition also available.
- Interviews: an introduction to qualitative research interviewing, by Steinar Kvale. Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications, 1996.
- Interviews in qualitative research / Nigel King, Christine Horrocks. Los Angeles : SAGE, 2010.
- Learning from strangers: the art and method of qualitative interview studies, by Robert S. Weiss. NY: Free Pr., 1995.
- Oral history / Patricia Leavy. Oxford ; New York : Oxford University Press, 2011.
- The Oral history manual, by Barbara W. Sommer, Mary Kay Quinlan. Walnut Creek, CA: Altamira Pr., 2002.
- Qualitative interviewing: the art of hearing data, by Herbert J. Rubin and Irene S. Rubin.3rd ed. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Pubications, 2012.
- Reflective interviewing : a guide to theory and practice / Kathryn Roulston. Los Angeles : SAGE, 2010.
Using Images for Research
- Doing visual research / Claudia Mitchell. Los Angeles, Calif. ; London : SAGE, 2011.
- Image-based research: a sourcebook for qualitative researchers, Jon Prosser, ed. Bristol, PA: Falmer Pr., 1998.
- Mapping it out: expository cartography for the humanities and social sciences, by Mark Monmonier. Chicago: Univ. of Chicago Pr., 1993.
- Picturing the social landscape : visual methods in the sociological imagination / edited by Caroline Knowles and Paul Sweetman. New York, NY : Routledge, 2004.
- Researching the visual: images, objects, contexts and interactions in social and cultural inquiry, by Michael Emmison. London: Sage, 2000.
Visual anthropology: photography as a research method, by John Collier, Jr., and Malcolm Collier. Rev. and expanded ed. Albuquerque: Univ. of New Mexico Pr., 1986. Also online resouce
- Visual methodologies: an introduction to the interpretation of visual materials, by Gillian Rose. 2nd ed. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, 2007.
- Visual methods in social research, by Marcus Banks. London: Sage, 2001. Also online resource
- Visual research methods / edited by Peter Hamilton. London : SAGE, 2006.
- Beyond environmental comfort / edited by Boon Lay Ong. Abingdon, Oxon ; New York : Routledge, 2013.
- Built environment evaluation: conceptual basis, benefits and uses, by Wolfgang F.E. Preiser. IN: Directions in person-environment research and practice, Jack L. Nasar and Wolfgang F.E. Preiser, eds. Brookfield, VT: Ashgate, 1999, pp.73-98.
- Communities by design: a post-occupancy evaluation of construction, design, community life and resident experiences at four affordable housing developments, by Gloria Bruce. Professional report (Master of City Planning) Berkeley: Univ. Of California, Berkeley, 2006. Includes case studies.
- Design for aging post-occupancy evaluations : lessons learned from senior living environments featured in the AIA's Design for aging review / edited by Jeffrey W. Anderzhon, Ingrid L. Fraley, Mitch Green ; foreword by Margaret Calkins. [Washington, DC] : American Institute of Architects ; Hoboken, N.J. : John Wiley & Sons, 2007. EnvDesign RA998.5 .D47 2007
- Easter Hill Village: some social implications of design, by Clare C. Cooper. NY: Free Pr., 
- Facilities Change Management [electronic resource]. by Edward Finch. Hoboken : John Wiley & Sons, 2011
- Inquiry by design: environment/behavior/neuroscience in architecture, interiors, landscape, and planning, by John Zeisel. NY : W.W. Norton & Company, c2006.
- Learning from our buildings : a state-of-the-practice summary of post-occupancy evaluation [electronic resource]. Washington, D.C. : National Academy Press, 2001
- Measuring urban design : metrics for livable places / Reid Ewing and Otto Clemente with Kathryn M. Neckerman, Marnie Purciel-Hill, James W. Quinn, Andrew Rundle. Washington, D.C. : Island Press, 2013 EnvDesign NA9053 .H76 E95 2013
- People places: design guidelines for urban open space, Clare Cooper Marcus and Carolyn Francis, eds. NY: Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1998. See Chapter 8.
- Post-occupancy evaluation, by Wolfgang F.E. Preiser, Harvey Z. Rabinowitz, Edward T. White. NY: Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1988. Includes case studies.
- Post-occupancy evaluation and the corporate architect, by Edward T. White. Tucson, AZ: Architectural Media Ltd., 1991.
- Simulating the Effect of Microclimate on Human Behavior in Small Urban Spaces [electronic resource] / Fung Ki Lam. Berkeley, CA, 2011
- Thermal comfort assessment of buildings [electronic resource] / Salvatore Carlucci. Milan ; New York : Springer, c2013
- A User-oriented evaluation of San Francisco's public housing for the elderly, by Galen Cranz, David Christensen, with Sam Dyer. [San Francisco?], 1977.
- A Visual approach to park design, by Albert J. Rutledge. NY: Garland STPM Pr., 1981.