Skip to main content
History of the Daily Californian and it's predecessors
"The Daily Californian has its roots in The College Echo, published by the Durant Rhetorical Society at the College of California before the founding of the University of California. The society continued the publication after the formation of the university and the move to the Berkeley campus site as The University Echo. The Neolaean Literary Society began the Neolaean Review in March 1873, and the two publications merged in January 1874 as The Berkeleyan. There was a gap in the publication from 1888 thorough 1892; a new series of The Berkeleyan was begun in 1893 The named was changed to The Californian in 1897, and in October of that same year it became the Daily Californian." (Source)
Online, Newsprint and Newsfilm
- Current newsprint issues, not yet microfilmed, are available in the Newsprint Stack area of the Newspaper/Microfilm Library, Room 40 Doe and online at The Daily Callifornian www.dailycal.org
- All issues of The Daily Californian or The Daily Cal, as it is often referred to, from Jan 1874 - recent date, are available on microfilm in the Newspapers & Microforms Library.