University of California, Department of Agriculture and Natural Resources,
UC Extension, Agricultural Experiment Station
California Agricultural Experiment Station
Leaf. (California Agricultural Experiment Station)
University of California Agricultural Extension Service
Agricultural publications / California Agricultural Experiment Station and Extension Service
California - County Crop Reports:
see also, Bioscience Library, S451 C3.
The California Agricultural Experiment Station (AES)
is part of a national network of experiment stations dedicated to problem-solving research. AES faculty in the University of California (UC) system collectively work on projects and teach courses at the three University of California campuses (UC Berkeley, UC Davis, UC Riverside) affiliated with the UC Office of the President, Division of Agriculture and Natural Resources (UCOP-ANR).
In 1862, Abraham Lincoln signed into law the Morrill Land Grant Act which provided public land to each state for the establishment of a public university dedicated to the education of the working classes in the agricultural and mechanical (engineering) arts. The purpose was to make education more widely available to the citizenry.
The California legislature took advantage of this grant, and in 1868 passed the Organic Act, which led to the establishment of the University of California. The organization and governance of the university was vested in a corporate body entitled the Regents of the University of California.
Berkeley was chosen as the site for California’s university.
In 1887, Congress passed the Hatch Act, which gave additional land grants to the states for the purpose of establishing a nationwide network of agricultural experiment stations. The purpose of experiment stations was to conduct original research bearing directly on the agricultural industry. Every state (except Connecticut) chose to locate their experiment station at the site of their Land Grant University.
The Hatch Act provided states with funds to support their experiment stations, but states were required to provide matching funds.
In the early 1900s, the College of Agriculture at Berkeley recognized the need to establish a research farm that was more representative of California’s climate than was Berkeley. This led to the establishment of the University Farm at Davis and, at almost the same time, the Citrus Experiment Station at Riverside.
In 1914, Congress passed the Smith-Lever Act which established the Cooperative Extension, and mandated that each state co-locate its cooperative extension program with its Land Grant University.
Through the 20th century, the Hatch Act was amended many times to expand the mission from strictly agriculture to include natural resources, fisheries, and other areas of national concern.
The UC expanded to its present 10 campuses. Each campus is part of California’s Land Grant University. AES activity has remained focused at Berkeley, Davis and Riverside, with Davis representing the most substantial investment.
The California AES is funded from both federal and state sources, with state support representing the majority of the AES budget.
States are required to report their AES research through the web based “Research, Extension, and Education project online reporting tool” (REEport), the U.S. Department of Agriculture – National Institute of Food and Agriculture (USDA-NIFA) documentation and reporting system for ongoing agricultural, food and nutrition, and forestry research.
To ensure an accurate picture of AES effort, all AES appointees are required to maintain current and active AES projects on file at all times and to report on their progress annually.
The California Agricultural Experiment Station is located at the UC Office of the President, Division of Agricultural and Natural Resources (UCOP-ANR) in Oakland.
Three AES campuses within the UC: Berkeley • Davis • Riverside
[UC Davis Website Overview]
Federal Depository Library Program
About the Federal Documents Collection at UCB
The UC Berkeley Library houses one of the most comprehensive United States government documents collections in the country. The Library has been a depository for federal government publications since 1884 but the collection dates back to the founding of the nation. In 2009, the Library celebrates the 125th anniversary of Federal Depository Library designation with an exhibit. The collection includes Congressional publications, Presidential papers, Census materials, statistical reports, and reports published by many federal agencies and departments. The Library is one of over a thousand Federal Depository Libraries across the United States. Click here to see a map of Federal Depository Libraries in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Access to United States government documents in a federal depository library is guaranteed by law. Doe Library houses the principle collection of United States (federal) documents.