Skip to main content
Books and more
Find Electronic books, print books and journals in OskiCat, Melvyl, and Start Your Search; some are in publisher packages or special subject collections.
Find books, ebooks, journals
Start Your Search NEW! [UC Berkeley Discovery Tool] Guide to Start Your Search: What's Included.
Oskicat [UC Berkeley]
- Search for books, e-books, journals, dissertations, reports, by topic, author or series
- Renew your books
- Find course reserves
- Request items from other libraries, from storage, or that are checked out by other patrons
- Refine your search to a specific library, available items or online items.
Melvyl [UC, selected UCB libraries not in Oskicat]
- Search for books, ebooks, journals, dissertations, and articles from UCB-subscribed journals
- Search libraries worldwide
- Request items UCB does not own, create and save lists, automatically format citations.
- Search articles, books, preprints, reports and more. (Reminder: specialized databases will provide depth to your search).
- Use with UC-eLinks to access the full text of many articles; click on "Scholar Preferences", click on Library Links for "Berkeley", and choose "University of California Berkeley - UC-eLinks."
- Listings may include links to related articles and to other sources that cite the item.
- Search the full text of books Google has scanned
- Read the full text of most out-of-copyright books
- View previews or snippets from many books still in copyright
- Find in a library link will locate the book if it is owned by UC Berkeley
Locate books and articles
Use Keywords, Subject Terms, Titles to locate books on specific topics, search OskiCat, Start Your Search, or Melvyl.
A keyword search allows the use of everyday terminology and the combination of two or more concepts (e.g. "food safety and packaging"; "pesticide residues and food"); click on a title of interest and follow the subject links to locate other books.
Some of Library of Congress subject headings used are:
- FOOD-SAFETY MEASURES
- FOOD ADDITIVES
- FOOD ADULTERATION AND INSPECTION
- FOOD ALLERGY
- FOOD CONTAMINATION
- FOOD MICROBIOLOGY
- FOOD POISONING
- FOOD SPOILAGE
- FOODBORNE DISEASES
- PESTICIDE RESIDUES IN FOOD
- RADIATION PRESERVATION OF FOOD
- RADIOACTIVE CONTAMINATION OF FOOD
- SEAFOOD CONTAMINATION