Skip to main content
Writings about Farrand's Work
Listed here are monographs published about Farrand and her work, and a very limited selection of journal articles. To identify additional monographs and articles, use the strategies in the Researching Farrand section of this guide.
- Balmori, Diana, et al. Beatrix Farrand's American landscapes: her gardens and campuses. Sagaponack, NY: Sagapress, 1985.
- Beatrix Farrand at Garland Farm: cultural landscape report, [prepared for the] Beatrix Farrand Society, Bar Harbor, Maine; prepared by Pressley Associates. Cambridge, MA: Pressley Associates,  Includes plans and planting information.
- Bliss, Mildred (Mrs. Robert Woods), Beatrix Jones Farrand, 1872-1959: an appreciation of a great landscape gardener, [Washington?], DC: Mrs. Robert Woods Bliss, 1960. Mildred and Robert Bliss commissioned Farrand's designs for Dumbarton Oaks.
- Chasse, Patrick, The Last garden of Beatrix Farrand, Journal of the New England Garden History Society, 11 (Fall 2003), pp. 35-42. Reprinted from: Journal of the Maine Olmsted Alliance for Parks & Landscapes (Spring 2003). Includes photographs and plans of Garland Farm, Mt. Desert Island, Maine.
- Cultural landscape report: Dumbarton Oaks Park, Rock Creek Park. Washington, DC: U.S. Dept. of Interior, National Park Service, National Capital Region, Cultural Landscape Program, [2000- ] Includes extensive information about Farrand and her design for Dumbarton Oaks
- Dumbarton Oaks Colloquium on the History of Landscape Architecture, Beatrix Jones Farrand (1872-1959): fifty years of American landscape architecture, Diane Kostial McGuire and Lois Fern, eds. 8th Dumbarton Oaks Colloquium on the History of Landscape Architecture. Washington, DC: Dumbarton Oaks Trustees for Harvard Univ., 1982.
- Goodman, Jennifer B., The Gardens of Beatrix Jones Farrand as emblems of art in America and women in art, Thesis (B.A.)--Williams College, Dept. of American Studies, 1986.
- Palmer, Donna, Beatrix Cadwalader Jones Farrand, IN: An overview of the trends, eras, and values of landscape architecture in America from 1910 to the present with an emphasis on the contributions of women to the profession. Masters thesis, Landscape Architecture, North Carolina State Univ., 1976, c1984, pp. 37-40.
- Phillips, Catherine, 'Connecticut motive': Beatrix Farrand and the Marsh Botanic Garden of Yale University 1922-1939, Studies in the History of Gardens & Designed Landscapes, 27:1 (Jan.-Mar. 2007), pp. 1-30. Nicely illustrated with photographs and plans from a variety of archives.
- Roper, Lanning, Dumbarton Oaks--a great American garden, Journal of the Royal Horticultural Society, vol.84, 1959, pp. 7, 10. Reprinted in: Beatrix Jones Farrand, 1872-1959: an appreciation of a great landscape gardener. [Washington?] DC: Mrs. Robert Woods Bliss, 1960.
- Salon, Marlene, Beatrix Farrand, landscape gardener: her life and her work. Masters thesis, Landscape Architecture, Univ. of California, Berkeley, 1976. Bibliography: leaves 110-114.
- Zaitzevsky, Cynthia, A Career in bud: Beatrix Jones Farrand's education and early gardens, Journal of the New England Garden History Society, 6 (Fall 1998), pp. 14-31. Illustrated with photographs and plans. Extensive notes.