Skip to main content
- Dictionary of building preservation / edited by Ward Bucher; Christine Madrid, illustration editor. [Washington, D.C.] : Preservation Press; New York: J. Wiley, 1996.
- Illustrated dictionary of architectural preservation. Ernest Burden. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2004.
- The Penguin dictionary of architecture and landscape architecture, by John Fleming, Hugh Honour, Nikolaus Pevsner. 5th ed. NY: Penguin Books, 1998.
- A Planners dictionary, by Michael Davidson and Fay Dolnick, eds. Chicago: American Planning Association, Planning Advisory Service, 2004. (PAS Report, no. 521/522). Book with CD-ROM. Contains definitions of more than 4,000 terms used in "the preparation of ordinances and... other documents that control and shape the built environment."
- [Stylistic] glossary, IN: The Guide to architecture in San Francisco and northern California, by David Gebhard, et al. Rev. ed. Salt Lake City: G.M. Smith, 1985, pp. 553-583. Guide to San Francisco Bay Area architectural styles.
- A visual dictionary of architecture / Francis D.K. Ching. New York : Van Nostrand Reinhold, c1995. Organized by basic aspects of architecture, terms are defined in their visual context. Alphabetical index in back.
Good starting places for background information, terminology, and bibliographies.
- Encyclopedia of archaeology: history and discoveries, edited by Tim Murray. Santa Barbara, Calif. : ABC-CLIO, c2001.
- Encyclopedia of architecture: design, engineering & construction / Joseph A. Wilkes, editor-in-chief, Robert T. Packard,.... New York: Wiley, 1988-1990. Check index in vol. 5 for article on historic preservation and other related topics.
- Encyclopedia of community: from the village to the virtual world / Karen Christensen & David Levinson, general editors. Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Sage Publications, c2003. Check index for several relevant articles.
- Encyclopedia of historical archaeology, edited by Charles E. Orser, Jr. London; New York: Routledge, 2002.
- Encyclopedia of 20th century architecture / R. Stephen Sennott, editor. New York: Fitzroy Dearborn, 2004. Includes article on historic preservation, and other helpful information.
- Preservation yellow pages: the complete information source for homeowners, communities and professionals / National Trust for Historic Preservation, Rev. ed. New York: Wiley; [Washington, D.C.]: Preservation Press, c1997.
- Architectural reconstructions : the aesthetics and methodology of the recreation of what was or might have been. Carole Cable. Monticello, Ill. : Vance Bibliographies,  Architecture series--bibliography ; A-2061
- The City neighborhood: an architectural guide to preservation. Coppa & Avery Consultants. Monticello, Ill : Vance Bibliographies,  Architecture series--bibliography; A-409
- Cultural landscape bibliography: an annotated bibliography on resources in the National Park System. Katherine Ahern. Washington, D.C.: Park Historic Architecture Division, Cultural Landscape Program, Washington Office, [National Park Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior], 1992.
- Historic American Buildings Survey/Historic American Engineering Record : an annotated bibliography, compiled by James C. ... [Washington, D.C.?]: Historic American Buildings Survey/Historic American Engineering Board, National Park Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior, 1992.
- Historic preservation law: an annotated survey of sources and literature. Gail I. Winson. Littleton, Colo. : F.B. Rothman & Co., 1999.
- Local historic preservation plans: a selected annotated bibliography / Neil Gagliardi, Stephen Morris. Washington, D.C. : U.S. Dept. of the Interior, National Park Service, Cultural Resources : Branch of Preservation Planning, Interagency Resources Division, 
- Making educated decisions 2: a landscape preservation bibliography, edited by Charles A. Birnbaum, Heather L. Barre... Washington, DC : Dept. of the Interior, National Park Service, Historic Landscape Initiative, 2000.
- Preserving urban areas as architectural artifacts: journal articles, 1982-1988. Dale E. Casper. Monticello, Ill.: Vance Bibliographies,  Architecture series--bibliography; A-2243
- Readings in historic preservation: an annotated bibliography to the key books and periodicals. James C. Massey. Washington, D.C.: National Preservation Institute, 1986.
- Readings in historic preservation: why? what? how? edited by Norman Williams, Jr. & Edmund H. Kellogg and Frank B. Gilbert Piscataway, N.J.: Center for Urban Policy Research, Rutgers University, 1983
- Rehabilitation of historic buildings: an annotated bibliography, edited by Frederec Ellsworth Kleyle. Washington, DC: U.S. Dept. of the Interior, Heritage Conservation and Recreation Service, Technical Preservation Services Division, 1980. TPS reports. HCRS publication; 32.
- Vernacular architecture and its conservation: annotated bibliography, compiled by the Unesco-Icomos Documentati... [s.l.] : UNESCO, [1985?]. Studies and documents on the cultural heritage; 9