Skip to main content
MLA Citation Style
Purdue OWL Citation Guide
A guide from the Purdue Online Writing Lab that shows you how to cite everything from a book, to an online source, to a blog post or tweet.
Citing Images Basics
If you are citing an image found in Google Images or any other image retrieval service, be certain to cite the image in its original context. Do not provide the URL of the enlarged image - you must use the URL of the page where the image was originally shown.
- Image creator's last name, first name, if available, or page author's name if available, followed by a period and a space
- Title of photo followed by a period, in quotation marks. If no title, describe briefly within quotation marks.
- Descriptive word (photo, map, cartoon, drawing, etc,) followed by a period and a space
- Website title in italics, followed by a space
- Website publication date in DD Mo. YYYY format followed by a period and a space
- Date image was viewed in DD Mo. YYYY format followed by a space
- Web address in angle brackets, followed by a period
Suzuki, Lea. "Mick Jaggar." Photo. SFGate.com 14 Nov. 2005. 14 Nov. 2005
There's a really great citation guide from EasyBib HERE
Louis Vuitton spring/summer 2013
Louis Vuitton SS 2013. Digital image. Vogue. Vogue.com, Web. 22 September 2015.
Citation Management Tools
Citation management tools help you manage your research, collect and cite sources, organize and store your PDFs, and create bibliographies in a variety of citation styles. Each one has its strengths and weaknesses, but all are easier than doing it by hand!
- Zotero: Free software that keeps copies of what you find on the web, permits tagging, notation, full text searching of your library of resources, works with Word, and has a free web backup service. Zotero is available as a stand-alone application that syncs with Chrome and Safari, or as a bookmarklet for mobile browsers.
- RefWorks - web-based and free for UC Berkeley users. It allows you to create your own database by importing references and using them for footnotes and bibliographies, then works with Word to help you format references and a bibliography for your paper. Use the RefWorks New User Form to sign up.
- EndNote: Desktop software for managing your references and formatting bibliographies. You can purchase EndNote from the Cal Student Store.
Tip: After creating a bibliography with a citation management tool, it's always good to double check the formatting; sometimes the software doesn't get it quite right.
Lanvin Fall 2011
Lanvin Fall 2011. Digital image. Vogue. Vogue.com, Web. 22 September 2015.