Here is a short list of useful articles databases for Japanese studies. Note that many of these sources only index journal articles -- they don't actually have the full text. Use the gold "UC-eLinks" button to do an automated search to find the full text.
- Bibliography of Asian studies (BAS): Indexes to scholarly sources written in English in all subject areas on countries in Asia
- CiNii Articles: Indexes to academic journal articles from Japan and provides full-text for some journals.
- JAIRO: Full text journal articles and other digital resources, including dissertations, produced by Japanese universities; provided by the National Institute of Informatics.
- MagazinePlus: Indexes to journal and magazine articles from Japan published since 1920s and essays included in festschriften, conference papers, books, annuals, and research reports since 1945.
- NDL Japanese Periodicals Index = 雑誌記事索引 (in NDL-OPAC): RSS feed is available from 雑誌記事索引採録誌一覧. Also available in 国立国会図書館サーチ
- Taiyō 太陽 / Bungei kurabu 文芸倶楽部/Fūzoku Gahō 風俗画報/Tōyō Keizai Shinpō 東洋経済新報/The Oriental Economist/Bijutsu Shinpō 美術新報: An online version of the journals Taiyō (1895-1928) , Bungei kurabu (1895-1912), Fūzoku Gahō 風俗画報 (1889-1916), Tōyō Keizai Shinpō (1895-1945), The Oriental Economist (1934-1985), and Bijutsu Shinpō (1902-1920) which are now included in JapanKnowledge. A selection of articles from Chūō kōron 中央公論 (1887-present) published between 1915 and 1925 are included in Takita Choin kyūzō Kindai sakka genkōshu 滝田樗陰旧蔵近代作家原稿集 in JapanKnowledge (作家一覧 and 作品一覧 are available for browsing).
- 国文学論文目録データベース: Provided by the National Institute of Japanese Literature. The database covers articles since 1912.
- Tōyōgaku Bunken Ruimoku Kensaku 東洋学文献類目検索 [第7.4 α版]: Provided by the Institute for Research in Humanities, Kyoto University. The database covers books and articles in Chinese studies published in East Asian countries and the West between 1934 and 1980, and since 2001. For publications between 1981 and 2000, please check: Tōyōgaku Bunken Ruimoku Kensaku 東洋学文献類目検索 [第6.10版].
- Zasshi kiji sakuin shūsei dētabēsu 雑誌記事索引集成データベース = The Complete Database for Japanese Magazine and Periodicals from the Meiji Era to the Present: Indexes to journal and magazine articles from Japan published since the Meiji period (1868-1912), with links to WebcatPlus, etc.
Selected Print Article Indexes
- Ōya Sōichi Bunko zasshi kiji sakuin sōmokuroku 『大宅壮一文庫雑誌記事索引総目録』: Covers articles published on popular magazines since the Meiji period through 1995. Cataloged in multiple titles.
- Senzenki yondai fujin zasshi mokuji shūsei 『戦前期四大婦人雑誌目次集成』 (ゆまに書房, 2002-2006): Consists of Fujin kōron 『婦人公論』 (1916-1950, Call no.: HQ1104 .F726 2002), Shufu no tomo 『主婦の友』 (1927-1950, Call no.: HQ1104 .S58 2003), Fujin kurabu『 婦人俱樂部』 (Oct. 1920-1950, Call no.: AP95.J2 F842 2006), and Fujin gahō 『婦人画報』 (July 1905-1950, Call no.: HQ1104 .F724 2004)