Skip to main content
RefWorks seamlessly adds in-text citations and a bibliography/reference list to your Word document using any of over 1000 styles.
The first step is to download Write-N-Cite to your computer; be sure Word is closed before you install Write-N-Cite
- After logging into RefWorks, click Tools and select Write-N-Cite
- Select then copy the long string of characters in the box under “How do I log into Write-N-Cite…”
- Click the appropriate download link. You will only be shown options relevant to your OS (ie, PC or Mac)
- Run the install program:
You may get a message to install Microsoft VSTO 2010 Runtime and/or MS.NET Framework. Go ahead and do so, if prompted
- Write-N-Cite will start to install; click Next as prompted, then Finish.
- Close the Write-N-Cite window in RefWorks.
- Open Microsoft Word.
- Click the ProQuest tab that now appears at the top:
- Click Login and paste the long character string into the appropriate box (See Step 4, above).
- Click Login.
- The tab name will change from ProQuest to RefWorks
Using Write-N-Cite to add references to Word
- In RefWorks, go to Bibliography (near the top) > Output Style Manager
On the left side is the List of Output Styles available in RefWorks; on the right is a list of your Favorites.
- To use a particular style in Microsoft Word, you must first add it to your Favorites:
Scroll down to the Cell style on the left side (or any other style you wish to add to your favorites), select it, then click the right pointing green arrow between the 2 boxes to add it to your Favorites.
- Close the Output Style Manager using the X at the top right.
- Open Word
- Start typing. You may save the document, renaming it as desired
- Click the RefWorks tab in Word located in the Quick Access Toolbar at the top.
- Log on to RefWorks if you have not already done so.
You should see a Syncing Data message for several seconds. If you did not see it, click Sync My Database. This may take a few moments
- Click the Style: drop down list and select Cell, or whatever style you added in Step 2 above. You may need to click Select Other Style (at the bottom of the list) and choose it from the box that appears.
- Click Insert Citation at the top left, and select Insert New.
A box will open; select the desired citation and click OK.
- Type some more and add another citation as you did in the steps above.
- Hit the Enter button on your keyboard to move the cursor down a couple of lines.
- Click Bibliography Options and choose Insert Bibliography. Your reference list should appear.
You may change the style in your Word document by selecting a new style from the Style: drop-down list under the RefWorks tab in Word. Remember to first add styles to your Favorites in order to see them on this drop down list.