Skip to main content
Books, articles & more
Start Your Search [UC Berkeley Discovery Tool] Guide to Start Your Search: What's Included.
Oskicat [UC Berkeley]
- Search books, e-books, journals, dissertations, reports, materials by topic, author or series.
- Renew your books
- Find course reserves
- Request items from other libraries, from storage, or checked out by other patrons
- Refine your search to a specific library, available items or online items.
Melvyl [UC, selected UCB libraries not in Oskicat]
- Search for articles,books, ebooks, journals, dissertations from UCB-subscribed journals
- Search libraries worldwide
- Request items UCB does not own, create and save lists, automatically format citations.
- Lists articles, books, preprints, and reports. Specialized databases cover more completely.
- Can be used with UC-eLinks to access the full text of many articles; click on "Scholar Preferences", search Library Links for "Berkeley", and choose "University of California Berkeley - UC-eLinks."
- Some listings also include links to related articles and to other sources that cite the item.
- Search the full text of books Google has scanned
- Read the full text of most out-of-copyright books
- View previews or snippets from many books still in copyright
- Find in a library link will locate the book if it is owned by UC Berkeley
Dissertations & Theses
Dissertations and Theses (Dissertation Abstracts)
UCB access only
Covers dissertations and theses from U.S. institutions.
UC Berkeley Dissertations
To locate sample dissertations from a specific UC Berkeley department, search OskiCat for the keywords berkeley dissertations <department name>.
berkeley dissertations environmental science policy and management
berkeley dissertations mechanical engineering
E-books in collections marked * are also available through OskiCat and Melvyl.
You can limit your search in OskiCat to "Available online," and in Melvyl to "Online resources." Or under Advanced search: use format oniline.