Skip to main content
Writing in the Earth Sciences
Citation Management Tools
Citation management software helps you manage your papers, collect and cite sources, and create bibliographies in a variety of citation styles.
Popular citation management software in the sciences and engineering include:
- EndNote (Mac, PC) is bibliographic management software that you install on your computer. It offers sophisticated, flexible tools for organizing references & creating bibliographies. EndNote works with word processing software to format citations, and create bibliographies in a comprehensive array of styles. Get the student price by purchasing online with proof of student status.
- RefWorks (Online) is a web-based bibliographic management service licensed by the library for use by current UCB faculty, staff and students. It can be used to organize references, format citations, and create bibliographies. To use RefWorks, create an account using the RefWorks New User form.
- BibTeX: is a tool that can be used with LaTeX to create documents and bibliographies typesetting language used for scientific document preparation. LaTeX is typesetting language used for scientific document preparation: http://www.latex-project.org. Tools are free to download. The TeX Users Group (TUG) includes an FAQ, links to software. Endnote has a BibTeX output style that will format your citations into TeX.
- Overleaf is an online collaborative LaTeX editor with integrated real time preview. Get a pro account when you register with your berkeley.edu email address or add your berkeley.edu email address to an existing account.
- ShareLaTeX is an online collaborative LaTeX editor. Get a premium account when you register with your berkeley.edu email address or add your berkeley.edu email address to an existing account.
- Mendeley is a free web-based reference manager & can be used as a social network to organize your research, collaborate with others online, and discover current developments. Sign up with your berkeley.edu email address to upgrade to an institutional account.
- Papers (Mac) is low-cost software that allows you to search, retrieve, organize, and annotate article PDFs. You can also easily export references into citation management tools like EndNote so that you can use their citation and bibliography formatting features.
- Zotero is a free Firefox extension that manages citations found online through your browser. You can capture citation information from some web pages and databases, and store citations, PDFs & images for easy retrieval. Zotero can create bibliographies in Word and OpenOffice in a limited number of styles.