Skip to main content
Design for Desert Climate
Finding Books & Articles
Use keywords and subject headings in library catalogs and indexes.
Architecture and climate
Architecture and energy conservation
Architecture and solar radiation
Architecture and energy conservation.
Buildings - energy conservation
Urban heat island
[place] - climate- statistics
Websites and Print Sources for Data
- Climate Profiles from Sperling's Best Places. Selected data on many cities and countries.
- Climate dynamics / Kerry H. Cook. Princeton, N.J. : Princeton University Press, 2013.
- EcoDesign / This site is a collection of resources for ecological design for buildings and cities. It is hosted by the College of Architecture and Design at the University of Tennessee whose goal is to make it easier for architecture students to understand energy concepts and to design energy efficient buildings.
- Engineering weather data / Michael J. Kjelgaard. 2001. LIB USE ONLY. Includes Bin Data -- weather data used for energy consumption calculations.
- Global daily summary [electronic resource] : temperature and precipitation, 1977-1991 / National Climatic Data Center [and] Climate Analysis Center and Blackland Research Center. 1994.
- Golden Gate Weather Services - Localized weather forecasts and climatological outlooks : includes links to many sources and statistics.
- Great Buildings - Types - Climates Scroll to bottom of webpage for Architectural types by climate.
- International station meteorological climate summary [electronic resource] / jointly produced by Fleet Numerical Meteorology and Oceanography Detachment, National Climatic Data Center, USAFETAC OL-A; prepared under authority of Commander, Naval Meteorology and Oceanography Command; NOAA support provided by Environmental Services Data and Information Management Program. 1995.
- Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory - Heat Island Group. Heat Island research is conducted to find, analyze, and implement solutions to the summer warming trends occurring in urban areas, the so-called 'heat island' effect. Concentrates on the study and development of more reflective surfaces for roadways and buildings. Site also includes cool pavements, cool roofs and more.
- National Climatic Data Center - NCDC archives weather data obtained by the National Weather Service, Military Services, Federal Aviation Administration, and the Coast Guard, as well as data from voluntary cooperative observers.
- National Climatic Data Center - Local Climatological Data - a monthly summary from major airport weather stations that includes a daily account of temperature extremes, degree days, precipitation, wind, hourly precipitation and 3-hour weather observations.
- National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration - NOAA is a federal agency focused on the condition of the oceans and the atmosphere. Provides information and data at all levels.
- National Renewable Energy Laboratory - renewable energy research and data.
- National Weather Service - links to San Francisco Bay Area, California and climate archives. Includes forecasts, hazards, watches, and warnings.
- Solar Radiation Data Manual for Buildings - from the National Renewable Energy Lab. Includes solar radiation and climate data.
- Sun Angle Calculator - SunAngle computes the position of the sun and related information for a given location, date, and time. This information may be useful in building design, solar energy system design, photography, and other applications.
- Weather America : a thirty-year summary of statistical weather data and rankings / [editor, David Garoogian]. 2011.
- Weather Underground / includes international weather information.
- Wind Resource Information / from the National Renewable Energy Laboratory.
- World climate disc [electronic resource] : global climatic change data / from the Climatic Research Unit at the University of East Anglia. 1992.
- World Data Center for Meteorology / World Data Center (WDC) for Meteorology is maintained by the U.S. Department of Commerce, NOAA, and NCDC. Established during the International Geophysical Year (IGY) of 1957, the WDC System now functions under the guidance of the International Council of Scientific Unions (ICSU).
- World Meteorological Organization / Includes weather prediction, air pollution research, climate change related activities, ozone layer depletion studies and tropical storm forecasting, coordinates global scientific activity. The United Nations, the Geneva-based Organization provides the authoritative scientific voice on the state and behaviour of the Earth's atmosphere and climate.
Design for Climate
- -arium : weather and architecture / [edited by Jurgen Mayer H., Neeraj Bhatia]. 2010.
- Builder's guide : hot-dry & mixed-dry climates / written by Joseph Lstiburek. 2000.
- Builder's guide : hot-humid climates / written by Joseph Lstiburek. 2000.
- The builder's guide to cold climates : details for design and construction / Joseph Lstiburek. 2000.
- The builder's guide to mixed climates : details for design and construction / Joseph Lstiburek. 2000.
- Building to suit the climate : a handbook / Gerhard Hausladen, Petra Liedl, Mike de Saldanha. 2012. A manual for integrated planning in the international context -- offers a comprehensive analysis of the interplay between climate, the building structure and the building envelope.
- Built by hand : vernacular buildings around the world / written by Athena Steen, Bill Steen, and Eiko Komatsu ; photographs by Yoshio Komatsu. 2003. Includes information on natural materials used around the world and a chapter on natural ventilation with good photos and wind scoops.
- Climate responsive architecture : a design handbook for energy efficient buildings / editors, Arvind Krishan ... [et al.]. 2001.
- Climate responsive design : a study of buildings in moderate and hot humid climates / Richard Hyde. 2000.
- Comfort in any climate / [Michael Reynolds]. 2000.
- Commissioning buildings in hot, humid climates : design and construction guidelines / [by CH2M Hill] ; edited by J. David Odom and George DuBose. 2000.
- Courtyards : aesthetic, social, and thermal delight / John S. Reynolds. 2002.
- Desert architecture : climate responsive design as a means to energy efficient homes and buildings / by Pat Guthrie, architect. 2nd ed. 1995.
- Eco-techture : bioclimatic trends and landscape architecture in the year 2001 / [Ana Rosa de Oliveira, Alejandro Bahamón, Sofia Cheviakof ; English translation [by] Richard-Lewis Rees]. 2000.
- Outdoor human comfort and its assessment : state of the art / prepared by the Task Committee on Outdoor Human Comfort of the Aerodynamics Committee of the American Society of Civil Engineers. 2004. Focuses on wind, air temp, solar radiation, includes assessment models and design solutions.
- Sun, wind & light : architectural design strategies / Mark DeKay, G.Z. Brown, Knight Professor, Department of Architecture, University of Oregon. Third Edition. 2014. Includes data, design drawings, wind catchers, solar information.
- Wind towers : architecture, climate and sustainability / Mehdi N. Bahadori, Alireza Dehghani-sanij ; edited by Ali Sayigh. 2014.
Dictionaries & Encyclopedias
Related Research Guides
- Building Codes Regulatory Resources --This is a guide to locating codes, especially for California and the San Francisco Bay Area, in the UC Berkeley libraries and on the internet. This guide provides links to many full text resources.
- Building Science Resources -- This is a guide to the literature of building systems, performance measurement, technology, materials etc.
- Daylighting Lighting Design -- This is a guide to resources on daylighting or natural lighting, site planning, performance measurement, technology, materials etc.
- Solar Design -- This is another tab in this guide with resources about energy, solar design, and photovoltaics