Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

Moffitt Library is opening Aug. 22. Other libraries will have updated services and hours. Learn more.

Frequently Asked Questions: Home

How do I access electronic resources from off campus?

If you are off campus, UC Berkeley students, faculty and staff may access UCB Only materials via:

How do I connect to the Internet on the campus?

Have a librarian come to my class?

Please contact Yuko Okubo or Susan Xue if you would like to schedule a library tour, an instruction class, or have a librarian come to your class.

Why do some EAL call numbers start with numbers rather than letters?

These are Harvard-Yenching call numbers. Before 1980 the C. V. Starr East Asian Library used the Harvard-Yenching Classification System. After 1980 EAL began using the Library of Congress classification system, which was already being used by all other campus libraries.

Why are two editions of the same book sometimes shelved in different places?

Two editions of the same title may be shelved in different places if the initial edition acquired by the Library was accessioned before 1980, when the Library was using the Harvard-Yenching Classification System exclusively, and the subsequent edition was acquired after the adoption of the Library of Congress Classification System.

Why are so many of EAL's materials in storage?

EAL currently has shelf space on campus for about 50% - 60% of the collection. The remainder is in storage in NRLF.

I have the call number; how do I find the book?

Use the shelving charts posted at various points in the Library. A handout is available at the Circulation Desk.

How do I reserve a carrel?

Application forms are available at the Circulation Desk in the C.V. Starr East Asian Library. Carrel assignments are made within the first few weeks of the semester.

Can I renew books online?

Yes! Please refer to the instructions on the Borrow and Renew pages.

How do I request materials from NRLF?

You can request materials through OskiCat using your UC ID and password or your CalNet ID and passphrase. Just click on the Request button at the top of the bibliographic record. If there is no Request button, please bring your request up to the Circulation Desk.

Are all of EAL’s materials in OskiCat or Melvyl?

Except for certain items in EAL’s Rare Book Room and Rare Extension, all books in EAL’s general collection should be in OskiCat and Melvyl. Holdings information and availability may be more up to date in OskiCat.

For help with the UC Berkeley Library system in general, see the Help page at the UC Berkeley Library website.

The Library's website also offers library research guides to help you with your research, using electronic and internet resources, library catalogs, and specific subject-based guides.