Here are a few tips for documenting data:
- Include a README file in the directory that contains your other data files. Check out steps of managing your project to learn about the directory structure.
- Write a data management plan, which is required by funding agencies.
- Provide a detailed description of the data, data source(s), and how it will be used.
- Provide a description to the process of capturing the data.
- Describe all the steps of data preprocessing.
- Provide a description and information about each new version of the data.
- Provide details about the software/code that is used for preprocessing the data.
- Adapt metadata standards for describing the data.
Naming files should be descriptive and consistent!