A selective list of compilations of the best works on the subject. Use them to get a jump-start on your research.
For additional resources search Library catalogs under: Subject: Architecture--United States--Bibliography; or Architecture--Bibliography.
- American architects from the Civil War to the First World War, a guide to information sources / Lawrence Wodehouse. Detroit: Gale Research Co., 1976. Gale information guide library, Art and architecture information guide series v. 3
- American architects from the First World War to the present, a guide to information sources / Lawrence Wodehouse. Detroit: Gale Research Co, c1977. Art and architecture information guide series; v. 4, Gale information guide library
- American architectural books; a list of books, portfolios, and pamphlets on architecture and related subjects published in America before 1895. New expanded ed. New York : Da Capo Press, 1976. Da Capo Press series in architecture and decorative art. Includes chronological short-title list of Hitchcock's American architectural books, and list of architectural periodicals before 1895.
- American architecture and art a guide to information sources / edited by David M. Sokol. Detroit : Gale Research Co.,  American studies information guide series v. 2, Gale information guide series.
- Architectural books in early America: architectural treatises and building handbooks available in American libraries and bookstores through 1800. Janice Gayle Schimmelman. 1st ed., 2nd print., rev. and expanded. New Castle, Del.: Oak Knoll Press, 1999.
- Architecture: a bibliographic guide to basic reference works, histories, and handbooks / Donald L. Ehresmann. Littleton, Colo.: Libraries Unlimited, c1984. Arranged by time period. Good coverage of United States.
- "Bibliographic essay," in American architecture and urbanism / Vincent Scully. New rev. ed. New York : H. Holt, 1988, p. 297-305.
- Goode's bibliography: doctoral dissertations relating to American architectural history, 1897-1995 / James M. Goode. 2nd ed. Chicago: Distributed by Society of Architectural Historians, 1995.
- Historic American Buildings Survey/Historic American Engineering Record: an annotated bibliography / compiled by James C. Massey, Nancy B. Schwartz, Shirley Maxwell. [Washington, D.C.?] : Historic American Buildings Survey/Historic American Engineering Board, National Park Service, U.S. Dept. of the Interior, 1992. Covers publications 1933-91 issued by HABS/HAER, National Park Service or Government Publishing Office that document the architecture and buildings of American cities or states.
- A Historical bibliography of commercial architecture in the United States. Compiled by Richard Longstreth, 2002; revised 8 May 2013. (PDF)
- Houses from books: treatises, pattern books, and catalogs in American architecture, 1738-1950: a history and guide/ Daniel D. Reiff. University Park, Pa. : Pennsylvania State University Press, c2000.
- A list of architectural books available in America before the Revolution. Helen Park. New ed., rev. and enl., Los Angeles, Hennessey & Ingalls, 1973. Art & architecture bibliographies, 1.
- Papers of the American Association of Architectural Bibliographers. NY [etc.] Garland Publishing [etc.], 1965-1979. Garland reference library of the humanities; v. 115-16. Excellent bibliographies on American architects and architecture.
- "United States," in Guide to the literature of art history, chap. J, Architecture. Etta Arntzen, Robert Rainwater. Chicago: American Library Association, 1980. Covers publications from 1959-1977.
- "United States," in Guide to the literature of art history 2, chap. J, Architecture. Max Marmor, Alex Ross. Chicago : American Library Association, 2005. Covers publications from 1977-1998.