For additional resources, be sure to search the library catalogs using the subject headings listed above or the name of specific places or cultures.
- African architecture: evolution and transformation / Nnamdi Elleh. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1997.
- African cities and towns before the European conquest / by Richard W. Hull New York: Norton, 1976.
- African traditional architecture: an historical and geographical perspective / Susan Denyer ; line drawings by Susan Denyer. New York: Africana Pub. Co., 1978.
- African nomadic architecture: space, place, and gender / Labelle Prussin. Washington: Smithsonian Institution Press: National Museum of African Art, 1995.
- Architectures of Nigeria: architectures of the Hausa and Yoruba peoples and of the many people between tradition and modernization / Kevin Carroll. London: published for the Society of African Missions by Ethnographica Ltd. in association with Lester Crook Academic Publishing, 1992.
- Drawn from African dwellings / Jean-Paul Bourdier and Trinh T. Minh-ha. Bloomington, Ind: Indiana University Press, 1996.
- From Cameroon to Paris: Mousgoum architecture in & out of Africa / Steven Nelson.Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2007.
- Traditional African environments: the science, the history, the thought processes / Oluwatoyin Huntar. Yaba, Lagos: Touche (Nigeria) Ltd., 1992.
- American vernacular buildings and interiors, 1870-1960 / Herbert Gottfried and Jan Jennings.New York: W.W. Norton and Co., 2009.
- EnvDesign NA710 .G68 2009
- America's architectural roots: ethnic groups that built America / edited by Dell Upton. New York: Preservation Press, 1986.
- American home life, 1880-1930: a social history of spaces and services / edited by Jessica H. Foy and Thomas J. Schlereth. 1st ed. Knoxville: University of Tennessee Press, 1992.
- Back of the big house: the architecture of plantation slavery / John Michael Vlach. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press, 1993.
- Baltimore's alley houses: homes for working people since the 1780s / Mary Ellen Hayward. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2008.
- Caribbean traditional architecture: the traditional architecture of Philipsburg, St. Martin (N.A.) / Joan D. van Andel. Leiden, Nederland: Caraibische Afd., Koninklijk Instituut voor Taal-, Land- en Volkenkunde, 1985.
- Casa de hacienda: architecture in the Colombian countryside / edited by Benjamin Villegas ; texts, German Tellez ; photography, Antonio Castaneda ; Bogota: Villegas Editores, 1997.
- Gas, food, and lodging / John Baeder. 1st ed. New York: Abbeville Press, 1982.
- Images of an American land: vernacular architecture in the Western United States / edited by Thomas Carter. Albuquerque: University of New Mexico Press, 1997.
- Landscape in sight: looking at America / John Brinckerhoff Jackson; edited by Helen Lefkowitz Horowitz. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1997.
- Main Street to Miracle Mile: American roadside architecture / Chester H. Liebs. Boston: Little, Brown, 1985.
- The Making of the American landscape / edited by Michael P. Conzen.2nd ed. New York : Routledge, 2010.
- Metropolitan corridor: railroads and the American scene / John R.Stilgoe.New Haven: Yale University Press, 1983.
- The patina of place: the cultural weathering of a New England industrial landscape / Kingston Wm. Heath. Knoxville: University of Tennessee Press, 2001.
- Real places, an unconventional guide to America's generic landscape / Grady Clay. Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 1994.
- A river and its city: the nature of landscape in New Orleans : with a new preface / Ari Kelman. Berkeley: University of California Press, 2006.
- Theaters of conversion: religious architecture and Indian artisans in colonial Mexico / Samuel Y. Edgerton ; with photographs by Jorge Pérez de Lara ; drawings by Mark Van Stone, James E. Ivey, and the author. Imprint Albuquerque: University of New Mexico Press, 2001.
- The traditional architecture of Mexico / Mariana Yampolsky ; text by Chloe Sayer. New York: Thames and Hudson, 1993.
ASIA AND MIDDLE EAST
For additional research tips and books, see the guide for History of Asian Architecture, Landscape Architecture, and Urbanism.
- Asia's old dwellings: tradition, resilience, and change / edited by Ronald G. Knapp. Oxford; New York: Oxford University Press, 2003.
- The Chinese house: craft, symbol, and the folk tradition / Ronald G. Knapp. Hong Kong ; New York: Oxford University Press, 1990.
- Chinese houses: the architectural heritage of a nation / Ronald G. Knapp ; foreword by Jonathan Spence ; photography by A. Chester Ong. Imprint Singapore: Tuttle Pub., 2005.
- Form & space in Japanese architecture / Norman F. Carver, Jr. 2nd ed. Kalamazoo, Mich.: Documan Press, 1993.
- House in East and Southeast Asia: anthropological and architectural aspects / editors K.G. Izikowitz, P. Sorensen. London: Curzon Press, 1982. Scandinavian Institute of Asian Studies monograph series; no. 30.
- The living house: an anthropology of architecture in South-East Asia / Roxana Waterson. Vermont : Tuttle publishing, c2009.
- The native architecture of Saudi Arabia : architecture and identity / Ellahi M Ishteeaque; Fahad A Al-Said ; Riyadh : Riyadh Municipality , c2008.
- The past in the present: architecture in Indonesia / edited by Peter J. M. Nas. Rotterdam: NAi, 2006.
- Technology, tradition and survival: aspects of material culture in the Middle East and central Asia / editors, Richard Tapper, Keith McLachlan.London ; Portland, OR: Frank Cass, 2003.
- Traditional Arab settlements: climatic influences and urban forms / El-Sayed Amer. Liverpool, England: Dept. of Civic Design, University of Liverpool, 1998.
- Traditional architecture in Iran / Mehdi Khansari, Minouch Yavari. Bruxelles: P. Mardaga, .
- Traditional domestic architecture of the Arab region / Friedrich Ragette. Fellbach: Edition Axel Menges, 2003.
- Traditional buildings of India / Ilay Cooper, Barry Dawson. New York: Thames and Hudson, 1998.
- Vietnam: traditional folk houses. / Vietnam: Ministry of Culture-Information ; Showa Women's University, 2000.
- Holz Haus: rurale Bauform, Maisons de bois: habitations rurales, Wood houses: form in rural architecture / Werner Blaser. Basel; New York: Wepf, 1980.
- Mediterranean vernacular: a vanishing architectural tradition / V.I. Atroshenko & Milton Grundy. New York: Rizzoli, 1991.
- Mittel Europa: rediscovering the style and design of Central Europe / Suzanne Slesin, Stafford Cliff, Daniel. New York: C. Potter, 1994.
- Modern architecture and the Mediterranean: vernacular dialogues and contested identities / edited by Jean-François Lejeune and Michelangelo Sabatino. Imprint London ; New York: Routledge, 2010.
- Traditional buildings of Britain: an introduction to vernacular architecture / R.W. Brunskill. London: Gollancz in association with P. Crawley, 1992.
- Venetian vernacular architecture: traditional housing in the Venetian lagoon / Richard J. Goy. Cambridge; New York: Cambridge University Press, 1989.
- Wooden houses / introd. by Christian Norberg-Schulz ; text and drawings by Makoto Suzuki ; photographs by Yukio Futagawa. New York: Abrams, 1979.
- Vernacular modernism: heimat, globalization, and the built environment / edited by Maiken Umbach and Bernd Hüppauf. Stanford, Calif.: Stanford University Press, 2005.