Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Use of images may be governed by copyright; consult each site's copyright information or image use policy for more information.
Images sources for integrative biology & environmental science
Integrative Biology, Environmental Science
- Biodic: Browse electron micrographs in the categories of anatomy; animal, cell, and plant biology; monera-prokaryots; fungi; and protists; or search by keyword. [Université libre de Bruxelles]
- Botanical Society of America: Image sites: Browse links to sites containing botanical images, and sites for botanical gardens, herbaria, natural history museums and native plants, among others. [BSA]
- Butterflies and Moths of North America: Browse image galleries by family; thumbnail images link to full-size images on species detail pages. [Big Sky Institute, Montana State University]
- Calflora: Search by common or scientific plant name, elevation, or location, among other criteria. Results can include photographs, distribution maps and observation maps. [Calfora]
- CalPhotos: Browse images by subject (plants, fungi, animals, people & culture, landscapes & habitats), common or scientific name, or search by common or scientific names, photo type, location, photographer or photo ID. [Biodiversity Sciences Technology, UC Berkeley]
- CBA Teaching Section: Image Sites: Browse links to image sites arranged by major phyla, including cyanobacteria; eukaryotic algae; club mosses and fossil lycopods; flowering plants; fungi; and lichens. [Canadian Botanical Association]
- Encyclopedia of Life Images: A Flickr group containing over 70,000 photographs, videos and illustrations of organisms or their signs (tracks, nests, etc.). Searchable tags include taxonomic classifications, common names, and other data. All content is made available under Creative Commons licenses. [EoL]
- Forestry Images: Browse images by categories including forest pests, trees, plants, stand types, and location, or search by common or scientific name or other keywords. [Center for Invasive Species and Ecosystem Health, University of Georgia]
- Fritz-Metcalf Photograph Collection: Photographs taken by Woodbridge Metcalf and Emanuel Fritz between 1900 and 1960 which relate primarily to forestry, conservation, and the lumber industry in California and the United States. Search captions or dates, or by photographer, location, aspect, people, or plot. [School of Forestry and the Marian Koshland Bioscience and Natural Resources Library, UC Berkeley]
- Insect Images: Browse by insect orders, food sources, or related organisms, or search by keyword, photographer, scientific name, subject or image number. [Center for Invasive Species and Ecosystem Health, University of Georgia]
- Iowa State University Entomology Image Gallery: Browse by species common name or by topic. [Department of Entomology, ISU]
- IPM Images: Images related to integrated pest management, including crops, insects, animals, pathogens and plant diseases. Browse by commodity groups, taxonomy, damage types, and biological controls, or search by keyword, photographer, scientific name, subject or image number. [Center for Invasive Species and Ecosystem Health, University of Georgia]
- JSTOR Global Plants: Photographs, specimens, drawings, prints, paintings, letters and articles which can be searched or browsed by resource type, geography, collection or herbarium. [JSTOR]
- Science.gov: Select "Multimedia - Multimedia sources" on the advanced search page to search videos and photographs from U.S. government sources such as Library of Congress, MedlinePLUS, NASA, NOAA, and NSF.
- Tropicos Image Search: Search by family, name, senior collector, collection number, country, and other access points. [Missouri Botanical Garden]
- Visible Human Project: Datasets of cross-sectional images of human male and female bodies, with links to several projects that use the data sets to create visualizations. [NLM]
- Wieslander Vegetation Type Maps & Photographs: A natural vegetation survey of California and adjacent areas of Nevada and Oregon begun in 1926 by Albert Wieslander. Search by quad number, quad name, photo number, keyword, or species, or browse photographs and maps for a specific location by clicking on an interactive map quad. [U.S. National Forest Service and the Marian Koshland Bioscience and Natural Resources Library, UC Berkeley]
- Wikimedia Commons: Contains many scientific illustrations, photographs, and animations submitted by users. Contents can be browsed by topic or searched by keyword. The license conditions of each media file are given on its description page.