BRII will provide funding to pay Berkeley authors’ OA article processing charges (APCs), or OA scholarly book (monograph) or chapter subvention fee (collectively, “Fees”) as follows:
- One application per individual per calendar year.
- One applicant per article.
- Fees will be subsidized only for fully open access journals or books (that is, the entire journal or book must be freely available to the public without a subscription or access fee). Please note that BRII no longer covers Fees for "hybrid" (subscription-based) journals that simply offer an OA option. However, BRII will finance Fees for OA scholarly books that also sell print copies, provided the publisher makes an online version of the book entirely free.
- For OA journal articles or chapters within OA scholarly books:
- BRII will fund up to $2500 in Fees.
- For OA scholarly books:
- BRII will fund up to $10,000 in Fees. (Note: OA books must be published under an open license that permits reproduction and the creation of derivative works, such as some of the Creative Commons licenses. Typically authors choose CC-BY or CC-BY-NC.)
- Applications can be made only after the article, chapter, or book has been accepted by the publisher. Please submit your BRII application within 8 weeks of publisher acceptance (for article APCs) or upon contract signing (for book proposals).
- BRII will provide the following levels of support for UC Berkeley-based Publishers:
- up to $3000 for per OA book, per calendar year
- up to $4000 for a journal, per calendar year. Please note that journal publishers may re-apply for funding but priority will be given to those journals that have not previously received funding.
- All reimbursement requests must be made within 6 months of the date of BRII application approval. We understand that the publication process can be long so we are willing to extend this 6 month deadline but it is up the the applicant to request an extension within 6 months of the application’s approval.