Good starting places for background information, terminology, and bibliographies.
- Encyclopedia of archaeology: history and discoveries, edited by Tim Murray. Santa Barbara, Calif. : ABC-CLIO, c2001.
- Encyclopedia of architecture: design, engineering & construction / Joseph A. Wilkes, editor-in-chief, Robert T. Packard,.... New York: Wiley, 1988-1990. Check index in vol. 5 for article on historic preservation and other related topics.
- Encyclopedia of community: from the village to the virtual world / Karen Christensen & David Levinson, general editors. Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Sage Publications, c2003. Check index for several relevant articles.
- Encyclopedia of historical archaeology, edited by Charles E. Orser, Jr. London; New York: Routledge, 2002.
- Encyclopedia of 20th century architecture / R. Stephen Sennott, editor. New York: Fitzroy Dearborn, 2004. Includes article on historic preservation, and other helpful information.
- Preservation yellow pages: the complete information source for homeowners, communities and professionals / National Trust for Historic Preservation, Rev. ed. New York: Wiley; [Washington, D.C.]: Preservation Press, c1997.