Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Dwelling codes provide minimum requirements to safeguard life, health and public welfare and property by regulating and controlling the design, construction and occupancy of one- and two-family dwellings not more than three stories.
- International residential code for one- and two-family dwellings. Falls Church, Va.: International Code Council, c2000- Mechanical, plumbing and electrical requirements are included with these construction and occupancy provisions. This replaces the "CABO one & two family dwelling code".
- CABO one & two family dwelling code / Council of American Building Officials. Homewood, Ill.: Building Officials and Code Administrators International, c1983 Continued by: International one- and two- family dwelling code.
- California fire code / California Building Standards Commission. Whittier, Calif.: International Conference of Building Officials; Sacramento, Calif.: California Building Standards Commission, c1998 - Continues: California Uniform fire code. California fire code.
- California fire laws : with building code statutes / Charlottesville, VA : LexisNexis c2007.
- International fire code. Falls Church, Va.: International Code Council, c1999. Formed by the union of BOCA national fire prevention code and International Fire Code Institute. Uniform fire code and Standard fire prevention code.
- International wildland-urban interface code. Country Club Hills, Ill.: International Code Council, c2006-.
- Life safety code handbook : with the complete text of the 2009 edition of NFPA 101, Life Safety Code / edited by Ron Coté.. 11th ed. Quincy, Mass.: National Fire Protection Association, 2009.
- NFPA 909, code for the protection of cultural resources. 2001 ed. Quincy, MA: National Fire Protection Association, c2001.
- NFPA fire prevention code. 2000 ed. Quincy, Mass.: National Fire Protection Association, c2000.
- NFPA fire prevention code handbook /edited by Steven F. Sawyer, Martha H.Curtis. 2nd ed. Quincy, Mass.: National Fire Protection Association, c2000.
- NFPA - The National Fire Protection Association
- High-rise security and fire life safety / Geoff Craighead. 2nd ed. Amsterdam; Boston: Butterworth-Heinemann, c2003. 3rd edition available online, UC only.
Historical Building Codes
- California Building Code. Uniform building code. California building code. Whittier, Calif.: International Conference of Building Officials. Continued by: California. California building code.
- California building standards code. Parts 1, 7, 8, 10, 12. Sacramento, Calif.: California Building Standards Commission Contains all of the additions, amendments and repeals affecting Title 24, part 1, 7, 8, 10, 12, California code of regulations.
- Uniform building code (UBC). Los Angeles etc. International Conference of Building Officials. 1973- Merged: BOCA national building code, Standard building code to form: International building codes..
- The BOCA national building code. Country Club Hills, Ill.: Building Officials & Code Administrators International, c1986. Basic Building Code (1950-1965) continued by BOCA basic building code (1975-1981) continued by BOCA basic/national building code (1984-1989) continued by BOCA national building code (1987-1999//).
Historic Preservation Codes
- California state law and historic preservation: statutes, regulations and administrative policies regarding historical resources. Sacramento, CA: California Office of Historic Preservation, [1999?] Technical assistance series. California. Office of Historic Preservation. Online PDF
- Building code issues in historic preservation: selected case studies / prepared by the California Preservation Foundation in cooperation with the State Historical Building Safety Board. Oakland, Calif.: The Foundation, 2001.
- Guidelines for the rehabilitation of existing buildings. Whittier, CA: International Conference of Building Officials, c2000.
- Historic preservation for designers. Peter B. Dedek. New York : Fairchild Books. c2014.
- How to use the state historical building code: a one-day technical workshop / sponsored by the California Preservation. Oakland : The Foundation,  .
- International existing building code / International Code Council. [Falls Church, VA] : International Code Council, 2003-.
- Rehabilitating older and historic buildings: law, taxation, strategies / Stephen L. Kass, Judith M. LaBelle, David A. Hansell. 2nd ed. New York: J. Wiley, c1993.
- Smart Codes in your Community: a guide to building Rehabilitation Codes - HUD User Publication, 8/2001. Overview of regulatory environment governing the use and reuse of existing buildings. (PDF file)
- State historical building code: State of California, Title 24, Building standards, part 8. Sacramento : State Historical Building Safety Board, 1990.
- California mechanical code / California Building Standards Commission. Whittier, Calif.: ICBO; Sacramento, Calif.: California Building Standards Commission, c1998-
- Code check HVAC : a field guide to heating and cooling/ Michael Casey, Redwood Kardon, and Douglas Hansen; illustrated by Paddy Morrissey. Newtown, CT : Taunton Press, 2005.
- Handbook to the Uniform mechanical code : an illustrative commentary. Whittier, Calif.: International Conference of Building Officials, c1995.
- International mechanical code.: International Code Council, 2000-
- Uniform mechanical code. Whittier, Calif.: ICBO; Los Angeles : IAPMO. 1976-2000.
- California plumbing code. Sacramento, Calif.: California Building Standards Commission, 1995-
- Code check plumbing : an illustrated guide to the plumbing codes/ Michael Casey, Douglas Hansen, and Redwood Kardon ; illustrations and layout by Paddy Morrissey. 3rd edition. Newtown, CT : Taunton Press, 2006.
- International fuel gas code / Arlington, Va. : American Gas Association : International Code Council., 1997-
- International plumbing code / Country Club Hills, IL: BOCA Intl Inc., 1995-
- International and uniform plumbing codes handbook / R. Dodge Woodson. New York: McGraw-Hill, c2000.
- Significant changes to the International plumbing code, International mechanical code, and International fuel gas code / Bob Konyndyk, Jay Woodward and Scott Stookey. Clifton Park, NJ : Delmar Cengage Learning : Washington, D.C. : International Code Council, c2009.
- Uniform plumbing code / International Association of Plumbing and Mechanical Officials. Los Angeles, Calif. : The Association.