Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

Exploring the UC Berkeley Library online just got better. Learn more about our reimagined website.

Open Science: Home

A guide for Open Science at UC Berkeley.

Open Science Community Events

Bay Area Open Science Group

Are you interested in making your research more openly available? Want to learn about open science tools and platforms that can make your research more effective and reproducible? The Bay Area Open Science Group is intended to bring together students, faculty, and staff from the Stanford, Berkeley, and UCSF communities to learn about open science, discuss the application of open science practices in a research context, and meet other members of the community who are interested in (or already are) incorporating open science practices into their work.

Meetings:

We meet on the 4th Tuesday of the month from 2-3pm via Zoom. All are welcome to attend and join the conversation!

Dates for 2021-2022:

  • September 28: 
    • Introductions and Open Science Group Discussion
  • October 26: 
    • Join us in October to learn about Curating a COVID-19 Data Repository, a public data repository built by the Yu Group at UC Berkeley to aid community-wide data science efforts in the fight against COVID-19.
      Tiffany Tang, a statistics PhD student in the Yu Group, will be discussing how the project came about, what it was like working in the time pressure situation, and some lessons learned in the process of creating an open-source data repository. We will also have plenty of time for questions and a more general discussion on creating an open-source data repository.
  • November 30: (note, 5th Tuesday instead)

Open peer review is the least practiced aspect of open science. Yet it may teach us a lot about how manuscripts can change from their submitted version to their (peer-revied) published version of record. Mario Malicki will give an overview of 21 studies that analysed manuscript changes and his own study in which I analysed changes between 121 epidemiology preprints and 
their subsequent published versions. Finally, he will present a call for declaring changes to manuscripts with each published paper.

  • December (no meeting)
  • January 25, 2022
  • February 22, 2022
  • March 22, 2022
    • Milo Johnson (https://miloswebsite.com/, starting a post-doc in the Koskella Lab at UC Berkeley this June)

      The linear format of scientific papers is an entrenched, constrained result of history that holds back efficient and effective transmission of information between scientists. Science requires depth, but the reality is that the majority of readers don’t care about the majority of things in a paper. And we know it! At conferences, scientists give 5-minute talks at poster sessions that effectively communicate their work to 95% of their audience, and the other 5% can ask follow-up questions about the details. Can we design a way to write scientific content in a similar way, such that the details are accessible behind a concise narrative? I'll present this idea along with some preliminary technical explorations, and I'll invite y'all to brainstorm with me about how we can make tools to improve communication between scientists!

Check out our website (https://bayareaopensciencegroup.github.io/) to get on our mailing list, or let us know if you want to present!

 

ReproducibiliTea

ReproducibiliTea

 ReproducibiliTea Logo

ReproducibiliTea is a grassroots initiative that helps researchers create local Open Science journal clubs at their universities to discuss diverse issues, papers and ideas about improving science, reproducibility and the Open Science movement. Berkeley's ReproducibiliTea club launches this fall as a collaboration between the Library and BITSS.

Meetings:

When: First Wednesday of the Month, 4-5 pm (mostly)

Where: Zoom (link to follow)

Fall 2021 Dates:

A full list of readings is available in our Zotero Library: https://www.zotero.org/groups/2354006/reproducibilitea/collections/76X9MUF2

Contact Sam Teplitzky (steplitz@berkeley.edu) with questions.

Registration:

https://berkeley.libcal.com/calendar/workshops/reproducibilitea

Open Science Librarian

Profile Photo
Sam Teplitzky
Contact:
Earth Sciences & Map Library
50 McCone Hall