The Bancroft Library’s Heller Reading Room is available to all registered researchers using our collections. Since many of the materials are unique or rare, and some are in fragile condition, we expect researchers to follow our Conditions of Use.
1. Bancroft Library collections are non-circulating. The Reading Room is reserved for the active use of Bancroft materials only.
2. Researchers may not use ink in the Reading Room. Pencils are available in the Reading Room. Computers, tablets, and phones (turned to silent mode) may be used.
3. Containers are not permitted in the Reading Room. Researchers may bring one notebook or one pad of paper (all without loose sheets or pockets) in addition to up to five sheets of loose paper. You must store your personal belongings, including coats, bags/purses, and umbrellas in the lockers operated by a refundable quarter. Property passes for research materials carried into the Reading Room are available at the Security Desk, please ask Security staff.
4. Researchers must submit all personal items taken out of the Reading Room for inspection at the Registration Desk and Security Desk upon departure. This includes opening laptop computers.
5. Cameras are permitted. Scanners are not permitted.
6. Eating, drinking, chewing gum, smoking, and cell phone conversations are prohibited.
7. When the Reading Room reaches capacity, we will enact a waitlist. Your seat may be forfeited if you leave the Reading Room for 30 minutes or more and the Reading Room reaches capacity in your absence.
8. We expect researchers to abide by the Library Code of Conduct.
Please review our complete Conditions of Use before visiting.
Credit: Peter Hanff