Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Mobile browsers require several steps to install a bookmarklet, but if you set it up, the mobile version is easy to use.
Part One: Setup
- Using iPhone? Skip and go to Part Two of this guide.
- On iPad, go to Settings and tap Safari
- Set Show Favorites Bar > ON
Control what appears in your iPad Favorites Bar: open Safari and tap the bookmarks icon. Then tap Edit.
Part Two: Creating the Bookmark
- Open Safari browser and view this page (the one you’re reading now)
- Tap on the share icon found at top or bottom of your screen
- Tap Bookmark found at top or bottom of your screen to save this page
- Ensure save is to Locations > Favorites and then tap Done
Part Three: Editing the Bookmarklet
- Select and copy the bookmarklet code. If needed, adjust the selection, to include all before tapping Copy
- Tap the bookmarks icon and be sure you’re viewing Favorites
- Tap Edit
- Select the bookmark saved in Part Two, called Bookmarklet for iOS
- Tap the address/URL field and clear it by tapping the x
- Tap Done twice: once in the keyboard and once at lower corner of the Favorites box
Using the Bookmarklet
- NOTE: Bookmarklet is only needed if you go directly to a journal, database or article – not starting from a UC Berkeley Library website.
- Clicked to view an article and not granted full access? Tap the bookmarks icon > Favorites > Bookmarklet for iOS.
- You will be prompted to log in via CalNet or PIN / Cal 1 card.
- Once authenticated as UC Berkeley, you should get the full text.
- You will remain authenticated as UC Berkeley until you close the browser.
Many thanks to UCSF for allowing us to re-use their excellent EZproxy guide.