Mobile browsers require several steps to install a bookmarklet, but if you set it up, the mobile version is easy to use.
Part One: Setup
- Using iPhone? Skip and go to Part Two of this guide.
- On iPad, go to Settings and tap Safari
- Set Show Favorites Bar > ON
Control what appears in your iPad Favorites Bar: open Safari and tap the bookmarks icon. Then tap Edit.
Part Two: Creating the Bookmark
- Open Safari browser and view this page (the one you’re reading now)
- Tap on the share icon found at top or bottom of your screen
- Tap Bookmark found at top or bottom of your screen to save this page
- Ensure save is to Locations > Favorites and then tap Done
Part Three: Editing the Bookmarklet
- Select and copy the bookmarklet code. If needed, adjust the selection, to include all before tapping Copy
- Tap the bookmarks icon and be sure you’re viewing Favorites
- Tap Edit
- Select the bookmark saved in Part Two, called Bookmarklet for iOS
- Tap the address/URL field and clear it by tapping the x
- Tap Done twice: once in the keyboard and once at lower corner of the Favorites box
Using the Bookmarklet
- NOTE: Bookmarklet is only needed if you go directly to a journal, database or article – not starting from a UC Berkeley Library website.
- Clicked to view an article and not granted full access? Tap the bookmarks icon > Favorites > Bookmarklet for iOS.
- You will be prompted to log in via CalNet or PIN / Cal 1 card.
- Once authenticated as UC Berkeley, you should get the full text.
- You will remain authenticated as UC Berkeley until you close the browser.
Many thanks to UCSF for allowing us to re-use their excellent EZproxy guide.