Skip to main content
Sustainable Design - General
Behin + Ha Living Pavillion: winner of the City of Dreams Pavilion Competition 2010
- Architecture in a climate of change: a guide to sustainable design / Peter F. Smith. 2005. Investigates renewable technologies, domestic energy sources, natural ventilation, lighting, life-cycle assessment, recycling. Includes case studies.
- The art of natural building : design, construction, resources / editors, Joseph F. Kennedy, et al. 2002.
- Climate responsive design: a study of buildings in moderate and hot humid climates / Richard Hyde. 2000.
- Design for sustainability [electronic resource] : a sourcebook of integrated, eco-logical solutions / Janis Birkeland. 2002. Also available in print.
- ECO-TEC: architecture of the in-between / Amerigo Marras, editor. 1999.
- Ecocells: landscapes & masterplans by Hamzah &Yeang / Leon Van Schaik. 2003.
- Ecodesign : the sourcebook / Alastair Fuad-Luke. 2009.
- Ecological design / Sim Van der Ryn and Stuart Cowan. 2007.
- Ecology and the architectural imagination / Brook Muller. 2014. Ecosystems can inspire architectural space making and order when ecology is embedded in the design process from conceptual phases onward.
- Energy and environment in architecture: a technical design guide / Nick Baker and Koen Steemers. 2000.
- Energy Design Resources [electronic resource]. Focuses on California design and building energy-efficient commercial.
- Environmental design: an introduction for architects and engineers / edited by Randall Thomas. 2006.
- Green Building Basics [electronic resource] - Comprehensive website for design and construction sponsored by State of California.
- Green building through integrated design / Jerry Yudelson. 2009.
- The green imperative: natural design for the real world / Victor Papanek. 1995. Presents the use of ecologically sound design of everything from food packaging to buildings. Discusses how one "senses" a building and how vernacular architecture maintains its close connection to the land.
See also -- Design for the real world: human ecology and social change / Victor Papanek; with an introduction by R. Buckminster Fuller. 1972. Introduces the idea of an ethics of design.
- Groundscrapers + subscrapers of Hamzah &Yeang / Ivor Richards. 2001.
- HOK guidebook to sustainable design / Mendler, Sandra; Odell, William; Lazarus, Mary Ann. 2006.
- International ecolodge guidelines / edited by Hitesh Mehta, Ana L.Baez and Paul O'Loughlin. 2002.
- Reinventing the skyscraper: a vertical theory of urban design / Ken Yeang. 2002.
- Ritual house: drawing on nature’s rhythms for architecture and urban design / Ralph Knowles. 2006.
- Rough guide to sustainability : a design primer / Brian Edwards. 2014.
- Rural modern / Russell Abraham. 2013. Explores the use of sustainable design and building practices, which have long been fundamental to rural architecture.
- Smart & sustainable built environments / edited by J. Yang, P.S. Brandon, A.C. Sidwell. 2005.
- Sustainable by design: explorations in theory and practice / Stuart Walker. 2006. Design of sustainable objects.
- Sustainable design: ecology, architecture, and planning / Daniel E. Williams; forewords by David W. Orr, Donald Watson. 2007.
- Sustainable design of research laboratories: planning, design and operation / Kling Stubbins. 2010.
- T. R. Hamzah & Yeang: ecology of the sky / Ivor Richards. 2001.
- Taking shape: a new contract between architecture and nature / Susannah Hagan. 2001.
- Urban design: green dimensions / Cliff Moughtin with Peter Shirley. 2005.
- Vegetal city / Luc Schuiten. 2009. Visionary architect from Brussels, Luc Schuiten, presents original proposals and visions of a positive future based on the creation of a new relationship between human beings and their natural environment.
Design for Environmental Health
Selected resources for healthier design
- The boiled frog syndrome: your health and the built environment / Thomas Saunders. 2002. A discussion of health concerns related to the built environment including electromagnetic fields (EMF), geomancy, dowsing, light and noise etc. Includes design solutions for healthier urban environments.
- Design details for health : making the most of design's healing potential / Cynthia Leibrock, Debra D. Harris. 2011.
- Eco : an essential sourcebook for environmentally friendly design and decoration / Elizabeth Wilhide. 2002.
- Ecohouse 2: a design guide / Sue Roaf, Manuel Fuentes, Stephanie Thomas. 2nd ed. 2003.
- Environmental Planning resources - ENVI research guide.
- Fundamentals of integrated design for sustainable building / Marian Keeler, Bill Burke. 2009.
- Green by design: creating a home for sustainable living / Angela M. Dean. 1st ed. 2003. Includes case studies with sustainable features listed for each.
- A handbook of sustainable building design and engineering : an integrated approach to energy, health and operational performance / edited by Dejan Mumovic and Mat Santamouris. 2009.
- Healthy house building for the new millennium: a design & construction guide / John Bower. 2000.
- The healthy house: how to buy one, how to build one, how to cure a sick one / John Bower. 4th ed., rev. ed. 2001.
- Home work: handbuilt shelter / Lloyd Kahn. 2004. Includes unique building materials and uses, design styles, maps and detail drawings.
- The natural house: a complete guide to healthy, energy-efficient, natural homes / Daniel D. Chiras. 2000.
- Natural interiors: using natural materials and methods to decorate your home / Ali Hanan & Pip Norris. 2001.
- The new autonomous house: design and planning for sustainability / Brenda & Robert Vale. 2000.
- Places of the soul : architecture and environmental design as healing art / Christopher Day. 2014. Sustainable design means much more than energy-efficiency: if sustainable buildings don't also nourish the soul, occupant-building interaction will lack care and eco-technologies won't be used efficiently. This major revision of his classic text builds on more than forty years of experience of ecological design across a range of climates, cultures and budgets, and 25 years hands-on building.
- Prescriptions for a healthy house : a practical guide for architects, builders & homeowners / Paula Baker-Laporte, Erica Elliott and John Banta. 2008.
- Preventing moisture and mold problems: design and construction guidelines / J. David Odom; 2003.
- The smart house / James Grayson Trulove ; introduction by Michael McDonough. 2003.
- Sustainable architecture: lowtech houses / Arian Mostaedi. 2002.
- Urban air quality : handbook, parts A and B / prepared and written by the staff and consultants of the Sustainable Cities Programme. 2001.
- Your naturally healthy home: stylish, safe, simple / Allan Berman. 2001.