1. keywords; variant word endings
lgbt movement* 1970*
* = truncation symbol/wildcard; child* = child, childs, children, childhood, childish...
2. "gay rights" 1970*
on the left, limit to scholarly/peer reviewed articles; or limit to books, or...
3. narrow your focus by adding another search term:
hm, let's add a term, or alternative terms
1960* or sixties
4. advanced search; use quotes to search two or more words as a phrase; alternative terms
racial identit* (keywords)
"second generation" (keywords)
youth* or teen* or adolesc* (keywords)
5. use official subject headings:
emigra* or immigra* (subject)
britain or "united kingdom" or uk (keywords)