Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Off-Campus Access to Library Resources
While the UC Berkeley Library provides access to thousands of online resources (ejournals, ebooks, databases, etc.) most of them are only available to authorized users (current faculty, students and staff and, in most cases, on-site visitors).
Without the right set up that allows you to authenticate, you will be locked out of these resources.
Image designed by Rawpixel.com
For a guide to free online library resources (that do not require authentication), consult Freely Available Resources for Research
. The guide provides a selective list of resources in the Sciences (as well as Arts, Humanities, Social Sciences, and more).
How to Access Online Resources
There are three ways to connect to library resources from off-campus.
- Go to UC Library Search, Databases A-Z list, and other library websites to look up licensed (subscribed) resources. Links listed on these sites prompt users to login with CalNet.
- To access licensed (subscribed) library resources found via non-UCB sites such as Google, Google Scholar, email links, Twitter, etc, you can add the EZProxy bookmarklet to your browser. Then, whenever you land on a licensed library resource, select your EZproxy bookmarklet to enable CalNet.
- You can also download the campus VPN (Virtual Private Network) client to access license resources.
No authentication needed
No further authentication needed if you are
- logged into a computer connected to a UC Berkeley IP address
- connecting via AirBears or eduroam
- using a public workstation in a UC Berkeley Library
More on EZProxy
The EZProxy bookmarklet adds the library's EZProxy prefix to a URL. Use it to access library resources from off campus.
To set up the EZProxy you will need to make sure your browser is configured to:
- Allow pop-up windows.
- Accept third-party cookies.
The bookmarklet can be added iOS, Android and most browsers including Chrome, Safari, Firefox, IE.
Drag the EZproxy UCB link to your browser's Bookmark toolbar.
For complete instructions go to: EZproxy guide