Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Citation Management Tools
Citation management software helps you to collect and organize papers, cite sources, and create bibliographies in a variety of citation styles.
Popular citation management tools in the sciences and engineering include:
- Zotero is a free and easy-to-use tool for collecting, managing, and citing the sources you find during your research. It can be integrated with Google Docs, Overleaf, and Word for easily formatting citations while writing.
- Mendeley is a freely available reference manager and academic social network that can be used to organize your research, create bibliographies, collaborate with others, and discover current developments. It can be integrated with Overleaf and Word for easily formatting citations while writing.
- BibTeX is a tool and format for simply organizing citations in a .bib text file. It can be used in LaTeX to format citations and bibliographies in a variety of styles. Overleaf offers extensive guidance on how to use .bib files with bibtex and biblatex, a newer package that is actively being developed.
- JabRef is a free tool for more effectively organizing and viewing your .bib libraries and formatting references and bibliographies.
- EndNote is bibliographic management software that you install on your computer. It offers sophisticated, flexible tools for organizing references and creating bibliographies. EndNote works with Word to format citations and create bibliographies in a comprehensive variety of styles. Get the student price by purchasing online with proof of student status.
- RefWorks is a web-based bibliographic management service licensed by the Library for use by current UCB faculty, staff, and students. It can be used to organize references, format citations, and create bibliographies in Google Docs and Word. To start using RefWorks, create an account using your @berkeley.edu email address.
- Papers is low-cost software that allows you to search, retrieve, organize, and annotate article PDFs. It can be integrated with Google Docs and Word for easily formatting citations.
- Paperpile is a low-cost web tool for collecting and organizing papers and easily formatting citations and bibliographies in Google Docs.
Find citation style guides
English as a Second Language
Are you looking to improve your technical and scientific communication skills in English? These resources may help:
Open Access publishing support
Information from the Berkeley Library's Scholarly Communication Services about the publication process and how to maximize your research impact.
UC Open Access Policy
Information for senate faculty as well as researchers, lecturers, post-doctoral scholars, administrative staff, librarians, and graduate students who publish scholarly articles while affiliated with UC.
Open Access publication options
Information from the Berkeley Library's Scholarly Communication Services about support for open access publication.
Berkeley Research Impact Initiative (BRII)
The Library will subsidize article fees for publication in fully open access journals. Follow the link to see eligibility rules and restrictions.